Monday, October 28, 2013

Raydon

Hi how are you?

It’s been a little while since I have posted because I’ve been focusing on other aspects of my life, like music. I have a pretty magical story behind my musical talents if you like love stories and rock and roll. I’ll try not to be too sappy ;).
I grew up listening to my grandma playing these amazing piano pieces and songs from anything hymnal to old 20’s classics. I would share the piano bench with her and just watch her gracefully hit each note precisely to create this powerful sound. I would sing along with the songs I knew and I even learned a few songs from watching her. She would later catch me teaching myself how to play songs based on me humming a note and then matching that note on the piano and decided I should be in piano lessons. I don’t know what ever ended that desire to play piano however, because after about a year of lessons and even a couple of piano recitals I was on to other things. I also played just about every sport possible so I may have just wanted to be outside running around instead of inside sitting at a piano.
Fast forward about 16 years later to last summer when I found that inspiration once again. I had recently started corresponding with a friend who was always playing shows and writing these wonderful songs and who also happened to be a guy that was very attractive and who I was totally crushing on. This guy saw something in me, a desire to learn maybe, and he invested some time into playing with me and teaching me little tricks and tips and he totally kick started one of the things I love to do most in life. Our relationship bloomed, and besides playing music, we fell in love and conquered the world together (or so we thought). Before I knew it, instead of watching him practice with his band, I was asked to play along a little and I’m not quite sure I was good enough but I eventually became a part of the band ‘Wounded Coyote.’ We actually had our very first gig as a quartet last September at a local martini bar downtown in Amarillo which means I’ve been playing shows for over a year now- which is crazy. We all grew pretty close as a band and as friends and we started playing all over and really just had a hell of a time for a good while. The only reason the band split up a few months ago is because our original drummer moved to Hawaii (can’t be mad at her for that), and our replacement drummer and our original bass player decided to go in a different direction with their music.
Brandon and I have always continued to play together, whether at our house or gigging under the name #Raydon, and we will always share a love and passion for music. I was recently asked by a couple of my lady friends who are very talented musicians to play keys and sing in a band they were starting called Jack & Ginger. We had our first show a couple of Thursdays ago and were quickly asked to play a few more shows around town in the next few months. People are really getting hyped about us because; A. we are Amarillo’s only chick band, and B. we’re girls, and we aren’t bad looking ;). Check us out on facebook or #Jack&Gingermusic.
Music is a crazy beautiful language that makes life worth living for me, and I thank my wonderful boyfriend for helping me to speak that language. Separate or together I hope that music is always a huge part of my life, I dedicate my passion to one very very talented and incredible guy who saw potential in me and who helped make my dream reality. I love you Brandon Todd. #Raydonforever.


No comments:

Post a Comment